Home > Information
Who we are
We started in 1998 and quickly grew to around 400 members. We hold a monthly meeting with a guest speaker, and various social activites throughout the year.
U3A stands for "University of the Third Age",
- 'University' being used in its broadest sense of 'education'.
- The 'Third Age' is the period in life which follows the second age of full-time employment and/or parental responsibility.
We are a non-profit organisation with no paid staff. We are affiliated to the national U3A organisation, so we follow the three guiding principles of the U3A in the UK:
- The third age principle - The U3A is open to anyone in their third age.
- The self-help learning principle - All members are equal with no distinction between teacher and student and with an emphasis on the sheer enjoyment of learning.
- The mutual aid principle - Each local U3A group is autonomous within the national body, which is the Third Age Trust.
Members do not have to join any of the activity groups, but these groups are fundamental to the U3A way of shared learning and socialising. Activity groups are an excellent way to make new friends and to share experiences with like-minded people.
An activity group can be formed on any topic, but someone must be prepared to act as the group leader. Once sufficient members want to join a group, they decide where and when they want to meet. Most Maldon & District U3A groups meet on a regular day and time each month. Some groups may choose to meet in the open air, such as a walking group or a bird watching group. Other groups with a small membership may choose to meet in a member's home, (often the group will meet in several members' houses in turn). Groups with larger memberships and special requirements will hire a room.
All activity groups are self-financing but if their turnover is at a level that they need to pay room hire fees etc. by cheque, they are advised to open a group account with the Treasurer to ensure that the payments are undertaken within the authority of the U3A.
|Vice Chairperson||Malcolm Case|
|Membership Secretary||Malcolm Case|
|Newsletter Editor||Liz Samson|
|WebMasters||John Bowen and Tony Groves|
|Social Group Chairman||Michael Childs|
|AV Equipment Management||Mike Flack|
|Essex Assoc of U3As||Malcolm Case|