Last revised 31 March 2015
1. Monday 1st April 2013, Easter Monday
There will be a meeting of The London & its History Group at the West Maldon Community Centre on Wednesday 17th April starting at 1430 hrs; for an illustrated talk by Ian Bevan on “Historic Greenwich".
2. Monday 6th May 2013 Bank Holiday
3. Tuesday 4th June 2013, guided tour of “Cutty Sark” followed by a guided tour of “Greenwich Maritime Area”. Cost is £27.50 per person this includes coach, drivers gratuity, entrance fees where applicable and the Blue Badge guide for the day – lunch is NOT included.
Fifty four of us left the West Maldon Community Centre on a fine and sunny morning for our journey to Greenwich; the traffic was most definitely in our favour and we arrived at Blackheath Gate, Greenwich ahead of schedule, so early that our Blue Badge Guide was still on his way. Our guide Shaun, on his arrival, could not be missed, tall and with a most commanding voice, all of us were able to hear his every word.
We stopped at the Pavilion café just inside the grounds for a coffee and then, with our guide giving lots of information, we walked down past the Royal Observatory , changing from East of the Greenwich Meridian to the West. From here we walked down to the National Maritime Museum where Shaun gave us an overview of the Museum and also of the “Ship in a Bottle” which is on a plinth outside the Museum (It was on a plinth in Trafalgar Square). We went through the Museum, stopping at some of the exhibits and Shaun gave us very interesting and detailed information about them.
Cutty Sark Group and Greenwich.
From there it was a walk to the “Queens House”, Shaun again giving lots of detailed information, we were then free to walk around the house before going to lunch. We met up again after lunch by the “Cutty Sark” and, with our guide walked back to Greenwich Park to visit to the “Painted Hall” and “Chapel”.
It was then back to the “Cutty Sark”, before going on board, Shaun gave us an overview of the ship, what it had done and how it has been rebuilt following the fire on board of a few years ago. The ship has been restored almost back to its former glory and in the glorious sunshine, looked pristine.
There was just time for tea and cake before we boarded the coach for our return to Maldon.
4. Monday 1st July 2013, meeting at The Blackwater Sailing Club, Heybridge Basin at 10:00an for an illustrated talk by Ian Currie on “The history of weather forecasting”
5. Monday August 5th 2013, visit to Lloyds Register of Shipping, Fenchurch St, London. Cost is £12.00 per person, this includes coach and driver’s gratuity – lunch is NOT included.
6. Monday 2nd September 2013, meeting at The Blackwater Sailing Club, Heybridge Basin at 10:00am for an illustrated talk by David & Hazel Matthews on their return trip from New Zealand, on their yacht “Redwitch”, this talk will cover the journey from Australia, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Oman and then via the Red Sea to Suez and via the Mediterranean back home. Plus final details for the trip to Portsmouth.
7. September 5th – 9th 2013, Maritime trip to Portsmouth, for details of the trip and a booking form, please see Malcolm Case.
8. Monday 7th October 2013, meeting at The Blackwater Sailing Club, Heybridge Basin at 10:00an for a talk by Molly Tring on “Hornblower in the Baltic”
9. Monday 4th November 2013, meeting at The Blackwater Sailing Club, Heybridge Basin at 10:00 am for an illustrated talk by Captain Martin Reed on the role of the “ss Canberra at the Falklands conflict in 1982”.
10. Monday 2nd December 2013, meeting at The Blackwater Sailing Club, Heybridge Basin at 11:00am for our planning meeting for 2014 and our Christmas Buffet.
Click here to go to the Top of this Page
Please go back to the U3A Home Page by clicking on the BACK Button on your Browser or click below.