Maldon U3A - Maritime Group

2004 Trips

The May Meeting was on the barge Hydrogen sailing from The Hythe Quay on Monday, 3rd May.

Maldon Quay from the Hydrogen
Maldon Quay from the Hydrogen.
Pictures by John Bowen.

Jan & group on the Hydrogen
Jan & group on the Hydrogen.               

Group on Hydrogen
Group as seen from the outside of Hydrogen.

Maldon in the mist
       Maldon in the mist.

Lady steering
Lady steering.

Viewing Heybridge Basin & the Old Ship public house.
Viewing Heybridge Basin & the Old Ship public house.


The boss steering
               Malcolm Case steering the Hydrogen.

John Robson out to meet us
John Robson, met us in 'Gwelan'. He was returning to Maldon after a cruise to Ipwich.
It looks misty because it was raining at the time.

John Robson's picture of Hydrogen
John Robson's picture of Hydrogen taken from 'Gwelan'.

"WAVERLEY” Trip, Friday 24th September 2004.

The group of intrepid Sailors set off by coach from Maldon to Tilbury to join the paddle steamer “Waverley”.   On arrival at Tilbury Passenger Terminal the “Waverley” was just arriving alongside.   We had to have a gate in the security fence opened and then it was all aboard; we were all counted on by the Purser and joined the people already on board who had embarked at Dover.

The “Waverley” is now the only sea-going paddle steamer in the World and was built on the Clyde in 1947; and is powered by a 21.00hp steam engine, which is open to public view.

The trip up the river Thames took us under the Queen Elizabeth II bridge and past the largest rubbish landfill site in this area at Rainham; past Tate & Lyles sugar refinery and the Woolwich Ferry and on to Greenwich.   We past the Dome and the Greenwich Maritime Museum and the University and of course the “Cutty Sark” and "Gypsy Moth”.   Continuing on we passed the Canary Wharf complex of offices.

The “Waverley” then slowed down so that Tower Bridge could be opened for us to pass under, this was a magnificent sight.   It was then alongside at London Tower Bridge pier where we all disembarked to join coaches to take us back to Tilbury; it was then a change of coach and back to Maldon.

The weather held fair for the whole trip, however it was a bit cool to say the least, so tea’s, coffee’s and hot chocolate drinks were the order of the day.

Click here to go to the Top of this Page

Please go back to the U3A Home Page by clicking on the BACK Button on your Browser or click below.

Last revised 27th July, 2005